Applying for a Social Security Number


International visitors who would like to apply for a Social Security number must prove that they will be working legally in the U.S. 

International students on F-1 or J-1 visas can apply for a Social Security number (SSN) once they have been in the U.S. for more than ten days and have acquired lawful employment. Students working on-campus must take with them to the Social Security Administration (S.S.A.) the following items: proof of on-campus work (such as the Work-Study Employment Contract), immigration documents (including printed I-94), and an authorization letter provided by OIA. Students who have off-campus work will need to take to S.S.A. their offer letter and immigration paperwork reflecting their work authorization. A handout on S.S.A. applications can be found online on our Forms and Handouts page.

Visitors on visa types that permit employment (i.e. J-1, O-1, TN, etc.) can apply for a Social Security number once they have been in the U.S. for more than 10 days. They must take to S.S.A. their immigration documents (including printed I-94) and offer letter or contract as proof of employment.  

To locate a Social Security office, please check their website

After the Social Security number application has been accepted, the applicant will receive a Social Security card in the mail in about two to three weeks. The foreign national should provide a copy of the card to the Accounts Payable Office (Room 229).

Please note that since the B-1/WB visa holders are not permitted to work so individuals on this visa type will not qualify for a Social Security number.

Back to International Advisement Home Page

The menu selected by the page