The following events in Juilliard’s history occurred in October:
1905 October 11, the Institute of Musical Art, Juilliard’s predecessor institution, opened for classes in the former Lenox Mansion on Fifth Avenue and 12th Street. The Institute of Musical Art was established by Frank Damrosch, music supervisor for New York City’s public schools and godson of Franz Liszt, with funding provided by philanthropist James Loeb. In its first year of existence, enrollment rose from 281 at the opening to more than 450 by the end of the academic year.
1941 October 31, more than 400 students from the Institute of Musical Art attended a Halloween party and dance. Prizes were awarded for the best fox-trot, waltz, and jitterbug.
1969 October 3 and 5, the opening of Juilliard’s new home at Lincoln Center was celebrated with two gala alumni concerts in the newly constructed Alice Tully Hall. Evelyn Lear, Joseph Kalichstein, Gary Karr, Michael Rabin, and Thomas Stewart presented the first program on October 3, with guitarist Fredric Lehrman and pianist John Wustman as accompanists. The second concert featured Leontyne Price and John Browning with the Juilliard Orchestra, led by Alfred Wallenstein, in a program of works by Beethoven, Prokofiev, Verdi, Barber, and Harris.
1990 Beginning in October, Juilliard’s third-year drama class participated in an exchange with students from the Conservatory Lenino Prospectas in Vilnius, Lithuania, also in their third year of training. On October 4, a Lithuanian group of 11 drama students and two professors arrived in New York for a three-week visit that focused on studies of Tennessee Williams and American musical theater techniques. In November, Juilliard students visited Lithuania for three weeks to study the plays of Anton Chekov.