As an international student on F-1 or J-1 status, it is solely your responsibility to follow the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (U.S.C.I.S.) rules and regulations concerning your legal status in the U.S. The following are important guidelines to help you maintain legal status in the U.S:
- Make sure that your passport is valid at least for six months
- Report any address changes through WebAdvisor within ten days
- Be sure that a Customs & Border Patrol (C.B.P.) officer stamps your passport with F-1; D/S or J-1; D/S
- Register for a full-time course load each semester
- Inform the O.I.A. immediately for program changes such as change of major, change of degree, or change of completion date
- Consult the O.I.A. in advance if you are thinking about working off campus. Never begin a job off campus (even unpaid work) without prior approval from the O.I.A.
- Please note that J-1 students must receive prior approval for on-campus employment as well
- Check with the O.I.A. when you plan on traveling outside the U.S.
- Report the loss of your I-20 or DS-2019 immediately to the O.I.A.--you should plan to keep all of your documents in a safe place and never throw any of them away
- Keep backup copies of all your immigration documents