Each year The Juilliard School hosts a weeklong seminar to foster the artistic growth of pre-formed, pre-professional string quartets. Through intensive coaching and mentoring with members of the Juilliard String Quartet, as well as interaction with other participating quartets, students are able to refine their artistry in a stimulating artistic environment. Individuals with compelling interest may also be considered for attendance at the Seminar as non-performing auditors.
- Quartets may complete and submit an application, and upload the required pre-screening recordings through our online portal, Acceptd.
- Pre-screening recordings should include three movements, one each from a work from the Classical, Romantic, and Contemporary periods.
- Interested auditors should request a paper-based auditor application and submit by mail to Juilliard Admissions at the address below. No pre-screening materials are required of auditors.
- The application fee of $50.00 U.S. (Applicable to both quartets and potential auditors. A check or money order, payable to "The Juilliard School," should be mailed to the address below.)
- Deadline for all of the above has been extended to Tuesday, March 31, 2015.
- Applications will be reviewed by the Juilliard String Quartet; selected quartets will be invited to participate, and possible auditors will be considered on an individual basis.
- Juilliard cannot assist international quartets, or auditors, in acquiring visas for the Seminar.
Details of the Seminar:
- The seminar begins Monday, May 18, 2015, and ends on Friday, May 22, 2015. Participating quartets may not have any other obligations during this time.
- Each quartet will receive two daily coachings with members of the Juilliard String Quartet, have a rehearsal studio, and perform in a public concert at Juilliard.
- Two works of contrasting styles will be studied. It is expected that the quartet will have performed these works in a public concert prior to arrival at Juilliard.
- Tuition for the 2015 Seminar is TBD. Last year's tuition totaled $340 for quartets and $80 for auditors. Scholarships for the Seminar are not available.
- Participants and auditors will be responsible for their own accommodations, meals, and incidental expenses.
For further information, please contact:
Office of Admissions
The Juilliard School
60 Lincoln Center Plaza
New York , NY 10023
(212) 799-5000, ext. 223