B-1/WB Visitor Visa


The B-1 (Business Visa) or WB (Visa Waiver) may be used by individuals invited to Juilliard for a very short period of time for the purpose of giving a lecture, consulting, or attending a conference/seminar. Visitors on a B-1 or WB are not permitted to work, conduct research, or collaborate on projects. Visitors wishing to come for those purposes may do so on a J-1 visa.

Citizens of certain countries are permitted under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) to enter the U.S. under a Visa Waiver. If the visitor is from one of the approved countries, they may enter the U.S. as a WB visa holder through the ESTA automated system.  All other visitors must apply for a B-1 visa at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy. 

B-1 and WB visitors may receive “reasonable” reimbursements for incidental expenses (or a per diem related to their activity). They may also receive an honorarium for their incidental expenses.

B-1 and WB visitors can only receive an honorarium payment (which can include payment for lecturing, guest teaching, or performing in an academic sponsored festival) under the following conditions:

  • The activities last no longer than nine days at any single institution
  • The honorarium is for the services conducted for the benefit of Juilliard
  • The visitor has not accepted such payment from more than five institutions over the last six months

Back to International Advisement Home Page

The menu selected by the page