- What is The Tianjin Juilliard School?
The Tianjin Juilliard School is a campus of The Juilliard School located in Tianjin, China.
- When will The Tianjin Juilliard School open?
The new school is anticipated to open in the fall of 2019.
- What programs will be offered at The Tianjin Juilliard School?
The Tianjin Juilliard School will have aGraduate Studies program offering the Master of Music degree in three majors, a Pre-College division similar to the Pre-College division in New York, and community programs.
- Who will teach at The Tianjin Juilliard School?
The Tianjin Juilliard School will have a permanent faculty of its own; visiting faculty artists from the New York campus will also frequently teach in Tianjin.
- Will there be student exchange programs between the two schools?
Although faculty and visiting artists will travel between the New York and Tianjin campuses, there will not be any formal student exchange programs at this time.
- What kind of performances and community projects will The Tianjin Juilliard School offer?
The Tianjin Juilliard School plans to offer weekly public performances. Tickets to these performances will be available to the public for free or at a very low cost. As many as 150 performances every year will be presented in the 700-seat concert hall, 299-seat recital hall, and 250-seat black box theater.
- Will The Tianjin Juilliard School have dance and drama programs in the future?
There are no plans to expand into dance and drama at this time. However, this will be reassessed in the future.
- How is The Tianjin Juilliard School connected to The Tianjin Conservatory of Music?
The Tianjin Conservatory of Music is a partner of The Tianjin Juilliard School.
- Where can I find information about job openings at The Tianjin Juilliard School?
The Juilliard School's Job Openings page includes listings for open positions at The Tianjin Juilliard School.
- Where can I go for Chinese-language information about The Tianjin Juilliard School?
Information about the Tianjin Juilliard School is available in Chinese via Juilliard’s WeChat site (WeChat channel: "茱莉亚互动艺术" or "JuilliardSchool")
- Is The Tianjin Juilliard School a full-time school?
The MM degree program is a full-time accredited graduate program. The Pre-College and community programs are part-time, non-degree-granting programs.
- What performance opportunities are there for me?
- Students at The Tianjin Juilliard School will have numerous opportunities to perform, both on campus and with partner organizations throughout China and beyond.
- What other learning opportunities will be made available at The Tianjin Juilliard School?
In addition to Graduate Studies and Pre-College, The Tianjin Juilliard School will offer a public music education program; continuing education (professional development for music educators); and public performances and exhibits. The campus will also house Juilliard Imagination, an innovative learning environment featuring interactive exhibitions.
- How much is the tuition?
Tuition charges will be posted in the near future.
- Will scholarships be offered?
Yes. The Tianjin campus will offer scholarships based on audition results.
- Is there on-campus housing for students?
Yes. The master’s degree program will offer residential housing for students.
- What programs will it offer?
The Tianjin Juilliard School will offer a U.S.-accredited Master of Music (MM) degree with majors in orchestral studies, chamber music, and collaborative piano. The orchestral studies and chamber music programs are new and available only at the Tianjin campus.
- How do the degree programs at the New York Juilliard School differ from those in Tianjin?
The Juilliard School in New York offers degree programs in dance (BFA), drama (BFA and MFA), and music (BM, MM, DMA, GD, and AD). The Tianjin Juilliard School will initially offer only a Master of Music degree with majors in orchestral studies, chamber music, and collaborative piano.
- How are the degrees offered by The Tianjin Juilliard School accredited?
The Tianjin Juilliard School will be accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, just like programs at the New York school.
- How long will it take to complete a master’s program at The Tianjin Juilliard School?
The master’s program requires two years of full-time study.
- What courses will be offered in Graduate Studies?
The official course catalog for Graduate Studies will be released at a later date. Please continue to check this site for updates.
- What are the requirements for applying to the Master of Music program?
Musicians who have completed a bachelor’s degree are eligible to apply to the Master of Music program. All instruction is in English, so proficiency in the English language is required. Students must complete an application and provide required supplemental materials, including a prescreening recording. Current Juilliard College students have the prescreening requirement waived. However, Juilliard alumni who have finished their programs do have to submit prescreening recordings. Please continue to check this site for updates on application procedures and audition repertoire.
- Will students in Tianjin be affiliated with the New York Juilliard School?
Students who complete the master’s program in Tianjin will be alumni of The Juilliard School, with an accredited Juilliard degree.
- If I attend The Tianjin Juilliard School, will I be able to transfer to The Juilliard School?
It is a standard policy that students at Juilliard must always audition to transfer between any of the School’s degree programs; this policy will also apply to students in the MM program in Tianjin.
- Will I get priority for admission consideration for Juilliard in New York City if I attend The Tianjin Juilliard School?
Juilliard’s audition process requires each applicant to undergo the same artistic assessment by faculty in order to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants.
- What are the benefits of enrolling in the Pre-College program?
As with the Pre-College program at the New York campus, the Pre-College program at the Tianjin Juilliard School will offer a comprehensive conservatory-style music program for advanced pre-college-age students. The program aims to prepare students for music study at the college level.
- How many students will be admitted into this program?
We anticipate a full enrollment of 200 students in the Pre-College program, with the first 60 students to be admitted for fall 2019.
- How can I enroll in the Pre-College program?
The Pre-College program in Tianjin will admit students ages 8 to 18 through an application and audition process. Please continue to check this site for more information about application procedures and audition dates.
- How is the Tianjin Pre-College program different from the public music education program?
The Pre-College program is audition-based and it provides a structured curriculum that, in addition to private lessons, includes classes in music theory, aural skills, chamber music, and other topics. The public music education program is a community program for students of all ages interested in lessons or classes; no audition is required for enrollment in that program.