Maintaining Lawful F-1 or J-1 Student Status


As an international student on F-1 or J-1 status, it is solely your responsibility to follow the United States Citizenship and Immigration Ser­vice (U.S.C.I.S.) rules and regulations concerning your legal status in the U.S. The following are important guidelines to help you maintain legal status in the U.S:

  • Make sure that your passport is valid at least for six months
  • Report any address changes through WebAdvisor within ten days
  • Be sure that a Customs & Border Patrol (C.B.P.) officer stamps your passport with F-1; D/S or J-1; D/S
  • Register for a full-time course load each semester
  • Inform the O.I.A. immediately for program changes such as change of major, change of degree, or change of completion date
  • Consult the O.I.A. in advance if you are thinking about working off campus. Never begin a job off campus (even unpaid work) without prior approval from the O.I.A.
    • Please note that J-1 students must receive prior approval for on-campus employment as well
  • Check with the O.I.A. when you plan on traveling outside the U.S. 
  • Report the loss of your I-20 or DS-2019 immediately to the O.I.A.--you should plan to keep all of your documents in a safe place and never throw any of them away
  • Keep backup copies of all your immigration documents

Back to International Advisement Home Page

The menu selected by the page