Juilliard Evening Division is now Juilliard Extension
Juilliard’s flagship program for nonmatriculated students is coming full circle as it forges into the future—what was formerly the Evening Division has become Juilliard Extension, a return to the program’s original name. The renaming occurs in tandem with an expansion of program offerings that has broadened during the pandemic and that will be offered both in person and online. The classes will continue to offer students nonmatriculated education and experiences, including the opportunity to advance technical and professional skills, earn college credit, and/or expand their horizons in the performing arts.
Juilliard’s first extension classes were offered in 1905, the year the Institute for Musical Art, Juilliard’s predecessor institution, opened, and the school has consistently offered classes for the general public since then. Operating as Juilliard’s Evening Division since 1989, the program has experienced steady growth in recent years and the popularity of these courses has only grown during the pandemic as the school pivoted to online teaching and learning. Evening Division students—more than 800 of them each year, from teenagers to octogenarians—range from performing arts professionals to arts educators and enthusiasts.
In making the announcement, Juilliard’s president, Damian Woetzel, said that Juilliard Extension will “happily increase opportunities both in person and online for artistic practice and the deepening of knowledge on the highest level, reflecting and sharing in new ways the excellence in education that is Juilliard’s unique legacy.”
John-Morgan Bush, Juilliard’s director of lifelong learning, said that Extension students, “by channeling their curiosity into high quality educational experiences, can participate in the performing arts in untold ways—wherever they may be.”
New courses for the fall include:
- Music Theory and Ear Training Classes, online for high school students
- Scene Study: Group Acting Class, taught in person
- Ballet Fundamentals and Beyond, in person
- Elementary Guitar Class, for adult beginners, in person
- Dance This Season, online or in person
- Mahler’s New York, online or in person
- Bach’s Majestic Mass in B Minor, online or in person
- French Piano Music of the 20th Century: From Debussy to Dutilleux, online or in-person
- Practical Orchestration and Arranging for Film and TV, online