Summer Term 2020
Welcome to Summer Term 2020 at Juilliard
The past few months have been a time of extraordinary challenge and reflection. Navigating the uncertainty of a global health crisis and responding to renewed calls for social justice, we are reminded again that, as artists, our commitment to our craft, to creativity, and to one another will propel us forward in every circumstance.
It is in this spirit that we are excited to announce Summer Term 2020 at Juilliard. This initiative grew out of a desire shared among Juilliard faculty, staff, and students, both returning and new, to stay engaged and connected during a summer that has been unlike any other in recent memory.
Summer Term 2020 for-credit courses will start on July 6 and conclude on August 14.
To view the complete summer schedule including all courses offered for credit, click here.
In addition to for-credit courses, a wide range of non-credit classes, workshops, and special events will be made available between now and August 14. These include studio classes for musicians, technique and conditioning classes for dancers, supplemental movement and voice work for actors, lectures, reading groups, classes, and activities organized and led by Juilliard faculty. Some of these offerings will be designed for students in a specific discipline, but many will be open to all Juilliard students. Our hope is that there will be something for everyone: opportunities to engage with faculty and fellow students and on topics, skills, and ideas that matter to you. A complete list of summer term non-credit programming and information on how to sign up is being finalized. This information will be shared in the coming days on this page and by specific departments.
For-credit course registration for the summer term opens on June 17 at 9am EDT and will close on June 26 at 4pm EDT. Before you register, please keep the following information in mind:
- All Summer Term 2020 courses and activities—both for-credit and non-credit—are being offered with no additional tuition charges.
- All Summer Term 2020 courses and activities are completely optional. Students are not required to participate in any for-credit or non-credit activities and will not fall behind if they opt out.
- Enrollment in for-credit courses is limited to one course per student. Because the summer term is shorter than a regular semester, for-credit courses will run at a faster pace; you should expect classes to be intensive and the workload substantial. However, you may, and are encouraged to, join non-credit events and activities, regardless of whether you are taking a for-credit course.
- All courses and activities will take place remotely. Faculty and staff are working hard to promote equitable access to the summer term program, especially to those members of our community located in time zones other than EDT. Contact the course instructor or [email protected] with any questions about your ability to join a class.
- For-credit courses are for a grade. You will receive letter grades for your performance in all for-credit courses offered during the summer term. Students in need of tutorial services or disability accommodations should contact the Office of Academic Support and Disability Services (OASDS) at [email protected].
- Class sizes are limited. You are strongly encouraged to register early to ensure you land a spot in your first choice. Once a class is filled, students will have the option of adding themselves to a wait list.
- Make sure you are eligible to take the course you’re interested in before you register. All new students are required to take a placement assessment to join for-credit courses, and some for-credit courses have prerequisites. Returning students are advised to review their degree progress under “Evaluate My Degree” on WebAdvisor before registering for a summer term course. This online tool shows the remaining courses you must take to complete your program.
- If you are a new student, watch your Juilliard inbox for details on placement and registration.
- Returning students, please visit WebAdvisor for the live schedule.
- If you are unsure about how to register and wish to consult an advisor, a list of academic advisors who can assist you can be found here. For general registration questions, please contact the Registrar’s Office at [email protected].
- International students: Make sure to check in with the Office of International Advisement before enrolling in any summer term courses or programs. If you are an international student and are interested in enrolling in any for-credit courses or non-credit programs, please email [email protected] and the Office of International Advisement can advise you on how best to proceed.
Why should I sign up? With many summer events that students would normally be involved in postponed or canceled due to the global pandemic, we have an opportunity to reinvent the summer, creating new avenues for inspiration and growth. In addition to helping you take required courses and get ahead on the fall, Summer Term 2020 is also a reminder that Juilliard is not a physical building but a community. Our hope in offering these courses is to help us prepare as a community for a productive and meaningful fall, winter, and spring.
What if I have more questions? If you have any questions after reviewing the information on this page, please email [email protected] who can for help with your inquiry.
Welcome to Summer Term 2020!