MA Academy With Juilliard
The MA Academy With Juilliard is a five-day lesson and master class intensive for advanced students and emerging professional period instrumentalists taught by the faculty of Juilliard Historical Performance during the Musica Antiqua Festival in Bruges, Belgium.
This tuition-free academy offers an exceptional opportunity for a select number of high-level student and emerging professional musicians to work on period-instrument technique and style through the mentorship of internationally renowned members of Juilliard’s Historical performance faculty.
The Academy includes:
- Individual private lessons
- Coaching in style and interpretation
- Master classes
- Access to MA Festival performances, depending on availability, at a deeply discounted rate
- A culminating final performance by participants
The MA-Juilliard Academy is open to high level baroque violinists, cellists, and harpsichordists.
August 3-7, 2020 (arrival date: August 2; departure date August 8)
Cynthia Roberts, violin
Phoebe Carrai, cello
Béatrice Martin, harpsichord
Bruges, a UNESCO World Heritage site since 2002, is situated in the northwest of Belgium. It can be reached from airports in Ostend and Brussels. Bruges has beautiful scenery, breathtaking art treasures, and culinary delights, and all its monuments are within walking distance. The city is also home to the renowned early music festival MA Festival Brugge, a 10-day festival of early music that began in 1964. It is known for its MA Competition, which supports international young talent. The MA Academy With Juilliard takes place in the Abbey of Saint Godelieve, a beautiful historical complex that's close to Zand Square and Bruges' main railway station. It's barely visible from the outside, silence completely embraces you once you enter in the inner courtyard.
Scholarship and Fees
The MA Academy With Juilliard is a tuition-free, full-scholarship program.
This scholarship will cover:
- All costs of tuition, lessons, and coachings
- Comfortable double-room accommodation in a three-star hotel
- Catered lunch and dinner daily
The only costs not covered by the scholarship are as follows:
- Nonrefundable application fee of $85
- For admitted applicants: one-time, nonrefundable $300 registration fee
- Transportation to and from Bruges
- Incidental and personal expenses
- Any additional accommodation needs outside of the program dates are the responsibility of the applicant
Sample Daily Schedule
|Morning||Group master class|
|Midafternoon||Private lessons and practice time|
|Late afternoon||Private lessons and rehearsal|
|Evening||Attend a MA Festival performance|
The week culminates with a public performance by participants.
In order to be considered for the MA Academy With Juilliard, you must:
- Be an advanced student or emerging professional on baroque violin, cello, or harpsichord
- Be at least 18 years old on August 3, 2020
- Be available for the entire duration of the program
Successful applicants are encouraged to consider Juilliard’s graduate-level, full-scholarship program in Historical Performance.
During the academy, harpsichords will be provided for practice and rehearsal; string players are expected to bring their own baroque equipment. The pitch for the workshop is A=415.
Application deadline: April 15