The Tianjin Juilliard School signifies a key milestone in Juilliard’s multifaceted expansion in Asia.
In addition to offering a U.S.-accredited master’s degree – a first for any performing arts institution in China – The Tianjin Juilliard School will be open to a range of arts enthusiasts, with instrumental lessons for people of all ages and abilities, weekly public performances, and an interactive exhibit space. The new school is anticipated to open in a new facility designed by Diller Scofidio + Renfro, the same firm responsible for the 2006-2009 expansion of Juilliard’s iconic New York home. The announcement of plans for the new school represent the latest component of Juilliard’s global strategy to make its artistic and educational expertise accessible to a wider public.
Recent preliminary approval of a graduate degree program from China’s Ministry of Education paves the way for Juilliard and its partners – the Tianjin Conservatory of Music, the Tianjin Binhai New Area CBD Administrative Commission, and the Tianjin Innovative Finance Investment Company (TIFI) – to develop the new facility in Tianjin.
Pending final approval, The Tianjin Juilliard School will comprise multiple components:
- a graduate program offering a Master of Music degree from Juilliard in the areas of orchestral performance, chamber music performance, and collaborative piano
- a pre-college program
- an instrumental training program
- adult education
- public performances and exhibits
As part of the pre-opening development work, Juilliard will initiate a program to bring members of its faculty to China for master classes and performances at the Tianjin Conservatory of Music and at other Chinese conservatories as often as eight times per year.
For More Information:
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Press Release: First Campus Outside New York to Be Established in China; Partnership Opens Up Juilliard's Expertise to All Ages and Abilities; Juilliard Will Offer a Master of Music Degree in China
- Press Release: The Juilliard School Breaks Ground in China on Its First Overseas Campus, Releases Designs for The Tianjin Juilliard School
- Juilliard Journal: Juilliard to Open Campus in China
- Juilliard Journal: Top Appointments for Tianjin School Announced