Important Note: All full-time students have access to free appointments at Juilliard Health and Counseling Services, whether or not they have health insurance through Juilliard. For more information about Health and Counseling Services please click here.
Information about the 2016-17 Academic Year Student Health Insurance Plan
The Juilliard School has a new Student Health Insurance Plan for the 2016-17 academic year, it is administered by Christie Student Health and underwritten by Tufts Insurance Company. The new insurance provider network will be Cigna.
Juilliard Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) Academic Year 2016-17
The Juilliard School offers an excellent Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) that provides benefits for off-campus medical services and prescription drugs.
- Coverage for sickness and injury.
- Coverage for preventative services as mandated by the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
- Unlimited annual or lifetime maximum for covered benefits.
- Prescription drug benefit at participating and non-participating pharmacies.
Students should refer to the insurance brochure (available below) for details regarding what is and is not covered and what percentages of expenses are covered. Most conditions require students to pay a portion of expenses.
The Juilliard Student Health Insurance Plan is in compliance with New York insurance regulations and meets or exceeds the minimum insurance standards for student health insurance plans as established by the Affordable Care Act.
General questions about health insurance and prescription drug coverage may be directed to the Administrator of Health and Counseling Services at (212) 799-5000 ext. 282 or email Beth Techow. The insurance company Christie Student Health has an informative website and may be reached by phone at 866-639-3629.
- All full-time students are automatically enrolled in the Juilliard Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). All students are strongly encouraged to remain enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan.
- Enrollment is mandatory for all international students, and coverage may not be waived under any circumstances.
- US students may waive enrollment in the SHIP if they have US-based insurance which meets the waiver criteria, including coverage for medical services in New York City. Students must provide documentation and complete a waiver form available on WebAdvisor and below.
New Benefits 2016-17
- Vision – there is a discount program for glasses and eye care, see brochure page 9.
- Dental – You may enroll in the Careington Dental Discounts Program separately, the cost is $15/year, see brochure page 9.
- For additional benefits, see the Christie Student Health website.
IMPORTANT: Health Insurance and Referrals to Outside Practitioners
Students should make an appointment with Health Services first for all non-emergency conditions. Students need a written referral from Health Services before receiving care from an in-network provider. If you obtain a written referral, your cost-sharing may be lower. This means you will pay less money if you get a referral.
Referrals are per condition and a new referral is needed each academic year (Sept. 1-Aug. 31).
The only exceptions to this rule are for emergency medical services, when the student is not in the New York City area, for certain preventative services (see brochure) or when Health and Counseling Services are closed.
Note To Returning Students with Juilliard SHIP
- Your plan coverage begins Sept. 1, 2016.
- You will receive your new insurance card in your Juilliard mail box. If you need your insurance card before returning to school, log onto the insurance portal to print it or call Health Services or Christie Student Health for assistance.
- Remember, if you are seeing a medical provider outside of Health Services you need a new referral every Sept. 1. Please call to schedule an appointment with Health Services at 212-799-5000 ext. 282.
Health Services is happy to assist you with questions. Please call (212) 799-5000, ext. 282, or email Beth Techow, Administrator.
2016-17 Student Health Insurance Plan
2015-16 Student Health Insurance Plan
Refer to the Student Health Insurance Web Site for 2015-16 information, brochure, etc.