High school students are often considering whether the best fit for them now is the professional Bachelor of Music degree at Juilliard or a degree program (generally the Bachelor of Arts, or BA, program) at Barnard College or Columbia University. The option of cross-registration allows BM students at Juilliard to take classes at Columbia or Barnard, and allows BA students at Barnard or Columbia to take lessons at Juilliard. Cross-registration opens up more possibilities for learning, capitalizing on the offerings of these New York City institutions.
These are not dual or double degree programs.
By definition, if you cross-register you are enrolled, registered for classes, and paying tuition and fees at Barnard College, OR Columbia University, OR The Juilliard School. Credits taken at the other school appear on the transcript of the school where you are enrolled.
Current Juilliard Dance or Music Students
Once you have applied, auditioned, and enrolled at Juilliard, you can cross-register at Barnard College or Columbia University as follows:
- You must have completed at least one semester at Juilliard and be in good academic standing to be eligible to cross-register.
- Undergraduate students: Courses taken at Barnard or Columbia can be for enrichment purposes, or approved credits may count toward your liberal arts elective requirement.
- Graduate students: You may cross-register to enrich your performance studies; however, the courses do not satisfy graduate requirements.
- Applications are available in the Office of the Registrar, and must be filed at the end of each term prior to the semester when you wish to participate.
- You are limited to taking one class only per term.
- Scheduling can be challenging. In particular, it is not always possible for Dance Division students to participate in this program due to the timing of their classes and rehearsals.
Current Juilliard Drama Students
Due to actors’ intense class and rehearsal schedules, Drama Division students are unable to participate in cross-registration programs.
Current Barnard or Columbia Students
The Barnard-Juilliard Program and the Columbia-Juilliard Program comprise the following:
- Weekly lessons with a member of the Juilliard faculty
- Annual juries, which determine eligibility to continue in the program
- Possible participation in classical or jazz chamber music ensembles (may require departmental approval)
- Participation in Juilliard Orchestra placement auditions (for audition experience only; participation in auditions does not result in placement in the Orchestra)
- Optional participation in concerto competitions
- Note that these Programs do not include participation in large ensembles, such as the Juilliard Orchestra or the Juilliard Jazz Orchestra, or cross-registration in any Juilliard classes.
The Accelerated Master of Music
- Students at Barnard or Columbia who are cross-registered at Juilliard for a minimum of two years may apply for an accelerated Master of Music degree, resulting in a bachelor degree from Barnard or Columbia and a Master of Music degree from Juilliard.
- This combined program typically takes five years (potentially six years for voice majors).
- You should plan to complete most of your undergraduate degree requirements in your first three years at Barnard or Columbia.
- You must apply to the accelerated MM program and audition in your junior year at Columbia or Barnard, meeting all regular deadlines and application requirements. The only exception to this is that if your major requires pre-screening, this requirement is waived based on participation in the cross-registration program.
- If admitted to the MM program, you will finish your undergraduate requirements at Barnard or Columbia while working on your MM requirements at Juilliard.
Applying to the Cross-Registration Programs
- Because lessons at Juilliard are with Juilliard faculty, Barnard and Columbia students who wish to cross-register must apply and audition at the same time and to the same standard as all Juilliard applicants.
- The application deadline for both the Bachelor of Music (BM) degree program and the cross-registration programs at Barnard and Columbia is the regular published date. If your major requires pre-screening, that material is also due by that date.
- The application fee is $35 for the cross-registration application. If applying to both the BM and the cross-registration program, the application fee is $110. Make sure you indicate on the Juilliard application if you are applying to one or both programs.
- If you are a first-time college student applying to Barnard or Columbia under Early Decision rules, and you have applied to both the BM program and the cross-registration program at Juilliard, you must withdraw your BM application if you choose to enroll under Early Decision. However, you may continue with your application to the cross-registration program.
- If you have applied to undergraduate study at Juilliard (the BM program) and at Barnard and/or Columbia, the admission decisions are made independently by each school. Ultimately, it is your decision where to enroll, and your responsibility to notify all schools of your final decision.
- Admission to cross-registration programs is highly selective. Approximately 10-12 applicants from all classical and jazz majors are admitted each year.
Cost of Participation
- The fee for cross-registering in music lessons at Juilliard is in addition to the tuition paid by Barnard and Columbia students to their respective schools.
- Please refer to your school’s website for information about lesson fees.
- The fee will be added to the cost of attendance at your school, and will be factored into the awarding of your need-based financial aid eligibility.
- Questions about tuition and fees should be directed to your home institution.