New Student Orientation
New Student Orientation is a week-long series of workshops, programs, and activities to welcome new students and ease their transition into the Juilliard community. During this time, you will get to know your classmates, attend division-specific meetings, register for classes, and learn about the programs, resources, and services that will help you thrive at Juilliard.
Arrival Dates and General Information
What You Need to Know
Welcome to Juilliard! We are pleased that you will be joining the Juilliard community this fall. This web page will provide you with important information. All new-to-Juilliard students are required to attend New Student Orientation in August 2023. During New Student Orientation, we share information essential to your transition to college life, New York City, and Juilliard. The Office of Student Affairs will also distribute information throughout the summer.
*Please check this web page regularly for updates and new information.
- All new students will receive their new email addresses and instructions to access their email in late May or early June. Once you receive your Juilliard email, please check it regularly.
- New students will receive several communications to their Juilliard email during the summer. These emails will contain important information from various departments at Juilliard regarding Orientation and fall activities.
- Students in specific populations, such as current Juilliard students moving into a new program, international students, and students in BCJ Exchange, Artist Diploma, or DMA programs, should review the Information for Specific Student Populations section below.
- Find Family Orientation information.
- 2023-24 academic calendar
- For more information about other departments, services, and programs, please visit the Campus Life section of the Juilliard website.
- See what our current students are up to and the programs and activities we offer by following @JuilliardStudents on Instagram.
Required Arrival Dates and Check-in Times for Orientation
Friday, August 18, 2023
10:00 am – 5:00 pm
- New international students with a residence hall room assignment may move into the residence hall and check in for International Student Orientation and New Student Orientation.
- New International students who are living off-campus may check in for International Student Orientation and New Student Orientation on this day.
Saturday, August 19, 2023
8:30 am – 9:15 am
- New international students living off-campus who did not check in on Friday, August 18, must check in on this day.
9:30 am – 12:00 pm
- New domestic and permanent resident students with a residence hall room assignment move into the residence hall and check in for New Student Orientation.
1:00 pm – 2:00 pm
- New domestic and permanent resident students living off-campus check in for New Student Orientation.
Thursday, August 24, 2023
9:00 am – 10:00 am
- All new Artist Diploma and Doctor of Musical Arts students check in for AD and DMA Orientation.
Saturday, August 19, 2023
International Student Orientation, 9:30 am – 2:15 pm
- This is a required workshop for all new international students in the Bachelor’s, Master’s, Diploma, and Graduate Diploma programs.
Saturday, August 19, 2023 – Friday, August 25, 2023
New Student Orientation
- This is required for all new students in the Bachelor’s, Master’s, Diploma, and Graduate Diploma programs.
- New students will be scheduled for required workshops and information sessions, placement assessments, and other activities throughout the week.
- Schedules will vary by division and day of the week. Detailed schedules will become available in early August.
Thursday, August 24, 2023 – Friday, August 25, 2023
Artist Diploma and Doctor of Musical Arts Orientation
- This is required for all new students in the Artist Diploma and Doctor of Musical Arts programs.
- Detailed schedules will become available at a later date.
- International students will be scheduled for a specialized orientation meeting within this time period.
Saturday, August 26, 2023
Returning Student Move-In Day
- Students returning for a new program and continuing students move into the residence hall.
Monday, August 28, 2023
Classes begin for all students.
Disability-Related Accommodations Preferred deadline July 1
The Juilliard School will make reasonable disability accommodations for students, family members, guests, and patrons with disabilities. For information on the disability accommodation request process, please visit the Office of Academic Support and Disability Services (OASDS) webpage. To ensure timely accommodation for the academic year, students should submit semester requests as soon as possible, preferably by July 1, 2023. However, students can submit a request anytime during the semester. Accommodations are not retroactive.
Students in need of a disability housing accommodation should complete the housing application process and concurrently request disability accommodations by contacting OASDS via email at [email protected] or call (212) 799-5000, extension 320.
Family members should visit see the Family Orientation page for accessibility needs.
Health Record Form Due by July 17
All new students are required to submit the 2023 Health Record Form by July 17, 2023. All students must have received either the COVID-19 original primary series vaccination or one dose of updated bivalent COVID vaccine and upload documentation into Medicat, our secure online system. New students will receive access to Medicat in mid-June. For further information on requirements, see College Student Immunization Requirements and COVID-19 information or email [email protected].
Note: If you are an international student who does not have access to the COVID vaccines above, you will need to receive one dose of updated bivalent COVID vaccine upon arrival. Please email [email protected] for assistance.
Late Arrival Request Due by August 1
All new students are expected to attend New Student Orientation. However, if you have a professional commitment, medical situation, or other serious matter that could prevent you from fully participating in Orientation, you must contact Academic Affairs for instructions on submitting a late arrival request form. New students should submit completed forms as early as possible, but no later than August 1, 2023.
- Supporting documentation is required to accompany the late arrival request form.
- Students requesting late arrival approval must complete their Health Record Form and Online Pre-Orientation in order to be considered for approval.
- Late arrival requests are not guaranteed to be approved.
- Students authorized to arrive late for Orientation must complete additional requirements.
- Questions regarding late arrivals may be directed to Academic Affairs.
Online Pre-Orientation Complete by August 14
All new students will participate in an online pre-orientation through Canvas, our Learning Management System. This online pre-orientation provides a wide range of information about the school, specific information for each student's program of study, and required placement assessments. International students must also complete International Essentials, which explains vital immigration regulations. International Essentials and online pre-orientation are requirements and must be completed by Monday, August 14, 2023.
Meredith Willson Residence Hall Housing Application Due by June 15
In mid-May, the Office of Residence Life will send detailed information to new students regarding the Meredith Willson Residence Hall housing application process.
- New students will have access to the residence hall housing application after they activate their Juilliard email account in late May.
- The housing application deadline is June 15, 2023. Housing applications submitted after this date will be considered on a space-available basis.
- Questions about the housing application process may be sent to Residence Life at R[email protected].
Off Campus Housing
Juilliard offers assistance to new students who are looking to live off-campus.
- Students can join our private Facebook group, the Juilliard Off-Campus Housing Forum, exclusively for Juilliard students and alum. Apartment listings, sublets, and roommate requests are posted here. Membership in this group is approved upon confirmation of enrollment.
- The Office of Student Affairs will host an online presentation about renting in New York City for new Juilliard students. New students will receive an invitation to this presentation in late May.
Students may also visit the Off-Campus Housing Resources web page for more resources.
Information for Specific Student Populations
- New international students in the Bachelor’s, Master’s, Diploma, and Graduate Diploma programs are required to attend a specialized orientation on Saturday, August 19, 2023.
- International students will receive specific information from the Office of International Advisement (OIA) regarding the I-20 request process and the online International Essentials course.
New Artist Diploma including Resident Quartets (AD) and Doctorate of Musical Arts (DMA) students
- All new AD and DMA students will be required to attend Orientation activities on Thursday, August 24, and Friday, August 25, 2023.
- New Artist Diploma in Opera Studies (ADOS) students are required to attend the Vocal Arts Orientation sessions. Dates and times will be announced later this summer
- New DMA students will receive information from the Doctoral Governance Committee regarding required DMA meetings and activities. (Dates and times to be determined)
- International AD and DMA students will be scheduled for a specialized orientation meeting with the Office of International Advisement.
Barnard-Columbia-Juilliard (BCJ) Exchange students
- Barnard or Columbia students enrolled in the BCJ exchange program are not required to attend the Juilliard New Student Orientation. You will receive information from Barnard or Columbia University regarding a mandatory meeting with Juilliard staff to be held in late August,
- Barnard or Columbia students enrolled in the BCJ exchange program are not required to submit a Juilliard Health Record Form. However, BCJ students are required to receive the primary COVID-19 vaccine series and upload the documentation to Medicat by July 17, 2023. Instructions to access Medicat will be sent in June.
Students returning for Artist Diploma (AD), Doctorate in Musical Arts, (DMA), Master of Music (MM) or Graduate Diploma (GD)
- Current Juilliard undergraduate or graduate Juilliard students who are returning for an AD, DMA, MM, or GD degree program are not required to attend New Student Orientation.
- A new Health Record Form is not required.
- Students returning to a new program may have specific departmental requirements prior to the start of classes. Please continue to check your Juilliard email over the summer.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I access my Juilliard email?
All new students will receive their new email addresses and instructions to access their email in late May or early June. Students who are having trouble accessing their email should email [email protected].
When will I get my residence hall room assignment?
The Office of Residence Life will send housing assignments in early July.
What is my mailing address going to be?
New students will be assigned mailbox numbers by mid-July. The mailing address format is:
Student Box #
60 Lincoln Center Plaza
New York, NY 10023
When can I access the Diamond Building?
New students may access the Diamond Building upon receipt of their Juilliard student ID card at Orientation check-in.
What are placement assessments, and will I need to take them?
Placement assessments are evaluation tools intended to reveal your knowledge and skill level so that you will be placed in the proper classes. Students will receive specific information about required placement assessments from Academic Affairs. Some placement assessments will take place online during the summer.
When do I register for classes?
New students will register for classes during Orientation week.
Who do I contact if I have more questions about…?
New Student Orientation or Family Orientation
Office of Student Affairs, [email protected]
International Student Orientation, Immigration, or Visa concerns
Office of International Advisement, [email protected]