About the Department of Public Safety
The Juilliard Department of Public Safety is the entity responsible for the security of people and assets at Juilliard. Our department consists of staff with security backgrounds in the U.S. government and the commercial sector and a team of uniformed Public Safety officers who are licensed by the State of New York.
Security efforts at Juilliard are based on three fundamental principles and are the motivation for all security measures implemented at the school:
- Maintain a secure environment for all students, faculty, staff, guests, and performance attendees
- Manage security threats in proportion to their assessed risk to Juilliard's people and assets
- Facilitate academic and performance-related programs while minimizing any disruptions to those programs to the extent possible
The Public Safety Department is continuously operational, our staff is on call, and there is always a Public Safety officer on premises 24 hours a day and 365 days a year.
Building hours are as follows:
- Monday-Friday: 8am-12am
- Saturday-Sunday: 8am-11pm
- Public Safety officers are stationed at the main desk in the lobby, located at the 65th Street entrance of the Irene Diamond Building, at all times. A security officer is also present at the 65th Street entrance during building hours, the 66th street entrance (Juilliard Bookstore) during bookstore hours, and other locations throughout the building during operational hours.
- The Department of Public Safety is located in room 104 on the Plaza level of the Irene Diamond Building. The department welcomes all questions regarding your security and safety.