International Student Employment


Consequences of Unauthorized Work

Students who work without proper authorization can face severe immigration consequences. Often a student will need to leave the U.S. immediately and may have problems returning in the future or problems with future visa applications. All international students should speak with the O.I.A. before engaging in any employment.

Students in F-1 Nonimmigrant Status

As an international student in F-1 nonimmigrant visa status, your employment should be verified by the O.I.A. Please note that a Social Security number is not work authorization. In general, the total number of hours for on- and off-campus employment may not exceed 20 hours per week while school is in session. However, full-time em­ployment is possible during vacation periods, provided that you intend to register for the subsequent academic term. 

On-Campus Employment
For those students on an F-1 student visa, on-campus employment is available and generally permitted as long as the student’s employment does not exceed 20 hours per week while school is in session. Examples of on-campus work include work-study, assistantships, and fellowships. All students must check-in with the O.I.A. before they begin working on campus to ensure that they are authorized to work. Students on work-study or working through the Hire Juilliard process will be required by those offices to check-in with the O.I.A. before they start working; all other on-campus hires must also be cleared for employment by the O.I.A. On-campus employment and employment through Hire Juilliard Performers is not considered OPT or CPT.

Practical Training

For any employment off campus, including professional en­gagements, accompanying, teaching, etc., Practical Training is available to F-1 students who have been lawfully enrolled at Juilliard on a full-time basis for at least one full academic year. An eligible F-1 student may request employment authorization for practical training in a position that is directly related to his or her major field of study. Request forms for practical training can be found on our "Helpful Links for International Students" page. There are two types of practical training available:

Curricular Practical Training (C.P.T.) may be authorized by the O.I.A. for any off-campus employment. All C.P.T. must be related to the student’s curriculum. Authorization is indicated on Page 3 of the I‐20 and includes the name of the company, beginning and ending date and location of the employment. Processing time for the authorization of C.P.T. can take up to one day and students are not permitted to begin working until they have received C.P.T. authorization. International students on F‐1 visas are eligible for C.P.T. before finishing their studies, as well as for 12 months of OPT. However, students who work full‐time on C.P.T. for one year or more are not eligible for OPT.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) must be authorized by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (U.S.C.I.S.) based on a recommendation from O.I.A. Students are eligible for 12 months of OPT for each degree level. Students who have received OPT permission will be issued an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) by the USCIS and will be permitted to work in the U.S. related to their field of study. The student name, photo and valid dates of employment are printed on the E.A.D. Students should note that the average processing time for U.S.C.I.S. to issue the EAD is two to three months, and students may begin employment only after they receive the E.A.D. indicating the start and end dates of employment. 

Students in J-1 Nonimmigrant Status

As an international student in J-1 nonimmigrant visa status, all employment must be approved ahead of time. Please note that a Social Security number is not work authorization. For any type of employmenton campus or off campus, you must obtain a prior written approval of the employment. Working without authorization will jeopardize your J-1 nonimmigrant status.

If your J-1 status is Juilliard-sponsored, please contact the Office of International Advisement for detailed infor­mation on employment authorization. For those students whose J-1 status is Fulbright-sponsored, please direct your employment inquiries to the Responsible Officer assigned to you by the Institute of International Educa­tion (I.I.E.). There are two main types of employment available to J-1 students:

On-Campus Employment
This is work performed on the School’s premises, including work-study, assistantships, fellowships, compen­sated professional assignments arranged by the School and performed in-house or outside Juilliard. As a J-1 student, you may accept on-campus employment only with prior approval from the International Advisement Office, provided you are enrolled in a full course of study. You are also required to complete Form I-9 with Juil­liard’s Payroll Office.

Academic Training (A.T.) is available to international students on J‐1 visas for up to 18 months of work authorization. Post‐doctoral students may apply for an additional 18 months of A.T. Some J‐1 program participants are also allowed to work part‐time during the academic program. Students who have received A.T. permission will be issued a DS-2019 with the dates of authorization and employer’s name on the first page of the document. If you are on Juilliard's J-1 student visa, please meet with O.I.A. to receive authorization before starting any work.

Students in Other Visa Categories 

All international students at Juilliard must provide the O.I.A. with copies of their immigration paperwork. Students are not permitted to work on-campus until they have received authorization from the O.I.A.

Back to International Advisement Home Page

The menu selected by the page