Chosen Name Policy FAQs

As Juilliard continues to create the most affirming and inclusive campus possible, we are clarifying the chosen name policy. This policy will allow any Juilliard community member to choose a first and middle name other than their legal name and have that name used wherever possible.  To learn more about the procedures for changing a name in the Juilliard system, please stop by the Registrar’s Office (students) or Human Resources (faculty and staff).


All members of the Juilliard community should be able to be identified by the name they choose, whether they are international, use a different name professionally, identify as transgender, or for any other reason.

Can any member of the Juilliard community set a chosen name?

Yes. Any student, faculty, staff or administrator may opt to set a chosen name.

Can I set my chosen name to whatever I want?

Yes, but Juilliard reserves the right to remove a chosen name if it is deemed inappropriate.

Can I use my chosen name for everything at Juilliard?

No.Your legal name will continue to be used in business processes that require use of a legal name, such as all external reports and documents including, but not limited to, paychecks, accounts payable checks, student billing, and tax forms. Chosen names will be used in Web Advisor, class rosters, class schedules, Canvas, programs, and email.

How do I set my chosen Name?

Members of the Juilliard community can set their chosen name by using this form: Chosen Name Request Form

How do I get my chosen name on my Juilliard ID?

The Juilliard ID can have either your legal name or your chosen name. If you would like your chosen name to be shown on your ID card, you can make an appointment with the Facilities Department (Room 232) after your name changes request has been approved. Please note that once the new ID card is made, there will be a $50 fee for subsequent name changes on the card.

How do I correct or change my legal name?

The process for changing your legal name varies by state and country of residence. It is not something that is done at Juilliard. If you have pursued a legal name change at the state or federal level, please bring legal documentation to the offices listed below so that that we can update your record.

Students: Submit legal documentation to the Registrar's Office (Room 224). In addition, student employees must submit an updated I-9 form to the Office of Financial Aid (Room 233).

Faculty and Staff: Submit legal documentation to the Human Resources (room 231).

Who will have access to my legal name?

Select administrative staff, Public Safety and, if you’re employed by the College, your supervisor(s) will have access to both your legal and chosen names. The Associate Dean of Student Development will partner with the Title IX Office to provide regular training for key administrative staff regarding the proper use of chosen names.

Last Updated Thursday, Aug. 13, 2020, 02:25PM