Dear Students, Faculty and Staff,
I am writing to share the news that one of our students informed us yesterday that they tested positive for COVID-19. We have of course been preparing for this, and our planning was activated following the most up-to-date procedures. We can share at this time that this student is in New York, but had not yet been on the Juilliard campus. The test was conducted as part of our baseline testing requirement, prior to the student returning to campus. Since being notified of this development, we have separately reached out to individuals in our community who may have had close contact with this student off-campus, so that they can be tested, monitor for symptoms, and quarantine in the meantime as directed by state and local health officials.
Thankfully, at this time the student is asymptomatic and doing well, and we have been in touch to provide support and resources.
We are coordinating with state public health authorities and the city health department on contact tracing efforts for those who may have had close contact with this student. If you have not already been contacted, you have not been identified at this time as someone in contact with this individual.
We also want to provide information on how we will manage subsequent positive diagnoses of community members. In keeping with the advice of our medical experts and government guidance, in the event of a positive diagnosis for a community member, the individual will immediately be required to self-isolate if not already doing so. In the case of a student living in the Residence Hall, they will move to an isolation suite according to our procedures.
Moving forward, beyond our contact tracing efforts, we do not plan to send a community-wide email for each case, especially if they are infrequent and appear to be isolated situations. However, if it appears there is a “cluster” of related cases, we will inform the community and take action required to keep our community as safe as possible.
Please remember that while so far this is just one case in New York, we must be extremely vigilant for the safety of our entire community.
· Continue to follow all guidance from the School and health officials including wearing a mask, physical distancing and following recommended hygiene practices.
· All community members should be self-monitoring their health. If you develop a fever or other symptoms (including but not limited to coughing, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fever, sore throat, or loss of taste or smell), do not come to campus. Instead, notify us and get tested right away.
· Students, faculty and staff are required to notify the School immediately if you test positive for COVID-19.
As Provost Meyer shared yesterday, if you develop symptoms, need help to arrange for a test, or need to report a positive test result, please follow these two important steps:
1. Students should immediately contact Health Services at (212) 799-5000, ext. 282 or email[email protected] during the workday. If it is after hours or on the weekend, please contact the Student Development staff member on-call at 1-866-885-7227.
Faculty and staff should contact Human Resources at [email protected]during the workday. If it is after hours or on the weekend, please contact Katie Germana, Director of Human Resources, at [email protected].
2. Fill out the COVID-19 Reporting Form. This form may also be used to request assistance if you suspect that you or another Juilliard community member may have been infected or exposed to COVID-19 or if you have symptoms. Please be sure to include a phone number where you can be reached.
These steps will alert Juilliard’s COVID response team and connect you, and anyone with whom you have been in contact, with important resources and information, and it will also allow the School to take steps to further protect the community.
We must continue to impress upon everyone the importance of strictly abiding by our Community Pledge. This is essential whether you are on campus or off campus, and applies to all members of the community: students, faculty, and staff.
Thank you for your continued vigilance and commitment to keeping our school community healthy and safe.